Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Will I see God in heaven?

“When I get to heaven, will I see God?”—Will

A tough but honest inquiry from a 5-year old!

The Bible, though not explicit on this point, does give us some clues:

First, God is invisible to temporal, human eyes. “No man can see God and live” (Ex. 33:20). “God is Spirit . . .” (Jn. 4:24). “No man has seen God at any time” (Jn. 1:18; I Jn. 4:12; I Tim. 6:16). Vague allusions to “seeing God” (Ex. 24:9-11; 33:20-23; Num. 12:8) indicate that God has allowed limited manifestations, visions, and reflections of His invisible though nonetheless real power, presence and glory.

More importantly, God revealed Himself in His Son, Jesus the Christ. “If you really knew Me you would know my Father . . . you do know Him and [thus] have seen Him . . . anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father” (Jn. 14:7, 9). Christ is “the image” of the invisible God (II Cor. 4:4; Col. 1:15; Heb. 1:3).

Our finite minds cannot imagine what or how we will “see” in heaven. Scripture does teach that things will be different: when those who follow Christ have been “raised up in an immortal body” (I Cor. 15:42-55), “we shall see Him as He is” (I Jn. 3:2). Put your trust in this: Christ is the way to God (Jn. 14:6), and someday we will be in His presence and see Him face to face (I Cor. 13:12). I suspect that will be good enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment